Modern art is more about the EXPLANATION of the art than the art itself. Below is a painting by Jackson Pollack. He splattered paint all over the canvas.
- Is this music?
- Does it express emotion?
- Should you explain this piece to an audience or just play it and let THEM interpret it?
- Is it creative?
- Could different orchestras play it differently and interpret it differently?
- What would Mozart and Beethoven think of this if they were alive today?
- Can / should our orchestra play it? Should we play it for the festival or the spring concert? Why? Why not?
- Would you like to see more examples of modern art to help you understand 20th century music and art?
- Any other comments?
See you in school,